Samuel HoytA man who had come a great distance and became a pillar in the community of Kamas, Utah, was also an important influence in other settlements in this state. A native of Chester, New Hampshire, Samuel P. Hoyt was born 21 November 1807. He grewup in Chester along with his 10 younger siblings. In 1834 he married Emily Smith, a cousin of the Latter Day Saints’s founder and leader, Joseph Smith.

Emily Smith Hoyt copy

Emily was instrumental in converting Samuel to the LDS faith.

Samuel and his wife moved to Nauvoo, Illinois. In 1851 they left their new home and travelled with other pioneers to the territory of Utah where in November of that year they located 148 miles South of Great Salt Lake City to central Utah and became early settlers of Fillmore, Utah in Millard, County. It is worth noting that the city and county bears the name of one of the presidents of the USA because during his dealings with Brigham Young he always was friendly and helpful. When the town of Fillmore was founded it was designated as the Territorial Capitol.

The new Territorial Capitol needed a Territorial Capitol Building and Brigham Young felt he had just the man for the job. He appointed Samuel P. Hoyt as the man to oversee the construction. At the same time Samuel was operating a very successful farming operation and general store. The same year Samuel was appointed as the new Indian Agent for the Pahvant Indians of that area. All of these activities brought prosperity to Samuel and Emily, but it also brought something to others. When crops did not do well for many living in the area Samuel sustained them by giving them portions of his grain stores.

In May of 1861 Brigham Young instructed Samuel and Emily to relocated to a small community between Wanship and Coalville called Unionville. There, in 1862 he built a flour mill. Emily established a school in their home. Emily lived in this home for the rest of her life and continued to teach school children for many years. Samuel built a flour mill to fulfill the milling needs of the locals. By the year 1874 the people of Unionville changed the name of their town to Hoytsville to show their respect for and to honor Samuel and Emily.

The year 1868 found Samuel establishing another home in what is now called Marion.

While in Fillmore, Samuel married a second wife who was named Emma Burbidge.

Emma Hoyt copy

This home in Marion is where Emma lived and bore Samuel 11 children of whom only seven achieved adulthood.

sam hoyt family

The home of Emma was located on the Upper Loop road near its North East corner. Unfortunately this historic home burned down in 1944.

S Hoyt Marion Home

Samuel used this home as his primary residence for the last ten or more years of his life. Here he spent his time raising cattle and was known as the Kamas Cattle King. He employed many local people in his various enterprises.

Joseph, one of Samuel’s sons, had Mr Fitch build him a home which now stands vacant at the approximate address of 3461 North State Road 32. The last descendant of Samuel to live in this house moved out in 1972.

sam hoyt house


Samuel passed away 12 August 1889 and is buried near his old home in Hoytsville.

hoyt hoitsville house

He had worked hard to benefit his family and those around him. To the East of Marion is located a mountain named Hoyt’s Peak and on its South side is Hoyt’s Canyon both named to honor Samuel who had done so much for those around him.